Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Let's face it parents, our kids want no part of rubbing sunscreen onto us, even if we're in relatively good shape and we think we're keeping it classy. I'll bet even Heidi Klum's children cringe and try to bolt when she walks into the room wearing a bikini and holding a tube of Bain de Soleil.

Over-thinking this sounds like a good idea, but you can always drop out if you're bored, and now I'm scared that this is just me.  But if I put myself in my kids' place, I get it.  I remember telling my dad, who was and is a great looking guy, "I'd really like to help you out here, but I sure don't want you to catch my cold." Bolt.  But we had five kids and he could just move down the line and ask someone else, like my sister Barb, who is the sweetest person in the world and will touch anything.

I'm thinking that most of us parents are on our own with sun screening until we can't go any further. So it's always our backs that we need a hand with. Then we look around the room, and if it's just our kids there; I don't know, maybe it is a lot to ask of them.  I mean, as far as our bodies go, if we can't see it and we can't reach it, why would someone else want to rub something into it?  

On the other hand, I've spent a lot of time helping my kids out with sun block over the years (This is an aside, and I'm pretty sure I made this up, but the best way to get sunscreen onto a kid's face is to ask him, "Do you want a butterfly, a horsie, or a dragon?"  Because little kids are just crazy enough to transport themselves into a face-painting scenario).  So I'm thinking that they owe me on the sunscreen thing now. 

I'm big into grossing my kids into reconsidering things. So, if you find yourself alone with your kids and an untreated back, my best advice is to say, "It would be great if someone put sunscreen on my back now, so no one has to do it while it's peeling."

4 comments:

  1. Connie, two words: spray sunscreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the hell! Of course! Owe you one! Thanks so much, Scott! Love, Margot and Greta

      Delete
  2. Gross out has always worked for you; "I'm going to need you to put an ointment on my backside." They'll be relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does spray sunscreen work on the hairiest guys in the world, i.e. your dad and my dad, or does the spray get blocked by the carpeting? That has to have been part of the gross-out factor, since our dads are/were among the best-looking guys around, but my dad at least had to decide where to stop shaving every morning.

    ReplyDelete