Thursday, March 21, 2013

Last night, we were talking with the girls about women taking their husbands' last names and how, on the face of it, that's pretty weird business.  Just to mix things up, I shared with them that my friend, Lizanne, though she's super progressive, made the switch when she got married, figuring that the family name she was giving up was that of her dad -- another guy.  So what the hell?  

We all agreed that the streamlining benefit of sharing a last name is a handy feature, not to be taken lightly, if only at the Immigration counter at an international airport. So, what about going back to the old world method of naming a family by describing its singularly distinguishing characteristic, as in "Brewer," "Potter," or "Weaver." In the case of Bo's family, after much genealogical research, it became known that the name "Wilsterman" actually means, "Man from Wilster."   

To put a modern spin on this old-fangled approach, and to solve the whole problem, Greta had the idea that a newlywed couple should be encouraged to develop a family name based on their common interests. She used the last name, "Flanksteak," as an example, and that won us all over.




3 comments:

  1. Hey, I may be super progressive but really wish I had thought more about this. Granted, Lizanne Napper does not have the panache I currently enjoy but it fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lizanne. Chris and I wondered how to handle the nomenclature for gay marriage. We both love a good NAP! Let me try it out. "Hi, we're Chris and Julie Napper. And you are? Well it's nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs Boots. These are our friends, the Sconces and the Trivets." I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My maiden name would have been Napper, since I take after my dear departed dad in that department (Hm, Julie, Dad was your godfather, right? He must have bestowed the gift of napping upon you). My married name is an occupational one, and while I don't necessarily enjoy serving others, I do enjoy being in charge of the bottles. Should I change the spelling to the original Bouteilleur?

    ReplyDelete