Thursday, March 14, 2013


Am I excited that there is a new pope?  No!  Am I excited that he picked his new name, "Francis," because of St. Francis of Assisi?  YES! Why?  Because, I went to Catholic grade school and all little Catholic kids absolutely love this particular saint. This is not only because his last name allows you so say "ass" without getting into trouble. It's because he had a rich dad and a fancy lifestyle, and he gave it all up to help the poor.  He also had a fervent love of animals, as you can see here in this photo:





Since most children also love animals, St. Francis of Assisi is seen as a real cozy guy who is easy to approach. So kids would much rather pray to him than to a saint who focused on more depressing matters.  Also, "Assisi" has the word, "sissy" in it.  So it was great thing to call my little brother when I was chasing him around the neighborhood (sorry Dave).  Of course, when I did that, I was playing with fire.  Because at any moment, he could spin around and whisper one word that would break me down and leave me in a puddle on the sidewalk:  "fat."

5 comments:

  1. I guess Dave causing you all that anguish was before you learned to fight back with that clever retort - "so?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Con: Love the blog - it's a daily highlight! In particular, the color palette - white, grey, and orange print on a black background. I have a pair of socks like that. They are my favorite. XOJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. what saint's name were you invoking when you used to call me "worm"? I know the catholic reference of the other name you used to call me, "pagan baby".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pagan babies! Now there's a blast from the past.

      Delete
  4. Did I ever send you the pic I took of a sign by a church here in Ellicott City announcing events for St. Francis of A's feast day? "9 a.m. Blessing of the Animals. 6 p.m. Pig Roast."

    ReplyDelete