Sunday, March 10, 2013

Don't expect your children to deliver on grandkids.  That was my take away from a conversation last night when both Margot and Greta told me that they couldn't imagine going down that road.  At first, I thought they were pulling my leg, which is a reasonable idea, because they're the kind of people who like to discuss the tattoos they're planning to get, knowing absolutely that I can overhear them ("... on my calf, coming out of my boot... roses growing out of a machine gun...").  

But this time, they weren't kidding, so I was left, as I so often am, with these words racing toward me from the 3-D movie screen of my brain: "YOUR MOVE."  "That's fine," I said, "I'll just have to have my own grandchildren." They laughed.  "Seriously though," I added, "with cooperation from you two, I think as a family, we can pull this off." My sister Julie, always supportive, weighed in, "The jump start required will not be covered by insurance and will end up costing us all a fortune." Bumper stickers and possible button treatments of "I'm Carrying My Own Grandchild," were mentioned. 

Granted, because of their ages, it's probably too early to talk about grandkids.  The point of all this is to remind you that you can pretty much gross your kids into reconsidering anything.  







1 comment:

  1. first let me state the obvious. they leaned it from you. the problem is they are funny ("a rose growing out of a machine gun"...c'mon,,that's brilliant) so you are torn between pride and exasperation.

    second, your response - to attack their humor by upping the stakes, as it were, is proof that one reaps what one sows.

    finally, my little princess uses this same topic to torment Mick and me as well. but she brings a mean streak to the party (no idea where she got that). she's going to have kids she tells us...but she is going to be living in an undisclosed location so we won't be able to see our grandchildren. she has promised to send pictures.

    ReplyDelete