Monday, February 11, 2013

This is my second posting, and let me share with everyone that my biggest worry at this point is that this blog, which is meant to be funny always, might devolve into something with a higher purpose.  An example of this kind of shift is found in sitcoms that build a big audience, like mine, and then start layering in squirmy "teaching moments," when we all were counting on yucking it up.  

I'm thinking specifically of that horrifying episode of M*A*S*H*, when Hawkeye Pierce made a Korean woman stifle a squawking chicken that turned out to be a squawking human baby.  And speaking of stifling, what about that unfunny time that Edith Bunker had to fight off a rapist?  Also wasn't Alex P. Keaton hooked on speed for one episode of Family Ties?

I'm figuring the best way to stave off edifying thoughts and concepts is to give my followers a safe word, which should probably be "chicken-baby," because, even after 30 years, any thought of that M*A*S*H* episode still stops me in my tracks, which is exactly what a safe word is supposed to do. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what tickles me more; the fact you are discussing safe words or the specific one that you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete