Monday, February 18, 2013

Here's what happened:  I was about to make a left turn off of that busy Woods Hole Road, into my neighborhood, when I noticed my neighbor, let's call him Mr. Ykwya (You know who you are), trying to make a left turn out of my neighborhood onto the same busy road.  Stopped there, with my left turn signal blinking, I effectively held up traffic and made the universal hand signal for "after you," which would have allowed him a speedy and safe exit/entrance.  But, instead of jumping on my generosity, he glared at me and stayed put. So I made the left onto my street, feeling confident in my relative abilty to comprehend and react to human gestures.  As I turned, he rolled down his window, narrowed his eyes and, in a very unneighborly tone barked, "PLEASE TAKE YOUR RIGHT OF WAY!"

In that moment, he combined two of my worst things:  ungratefulness and the term "right of way," which is a creepy, antiquated expression that those apathetic employees at the DMV refuse to modernize.  "Right of way" sounds a lot like "rite of whey," which I'm thinking might have been some ancient, solemn practice where they either smeared or force fed cheese byproducts either onto or into super sick people (remind me to look that up).  From there, it doesn't take long for your thoughts to drift to the imponderably catastrophic Bubonic Plague, and who wants to think about black death everytime it's your turn to hang a Louie.

I know I'm bad at naming things, but just to get a conversation started, I'll offer the idea of replacing "right of way" with "my go" or "your go."  It sounds fresh, but it might not have the staying power we'll need --think of "my bad" and how, thankfully, that expression snuffed itself out after people my age started saying it.  I'm counting on my followers to forward some additional ideas, which I'll personally take to the DMV for their review.  I'm sure they'll fast track this business if I'm in the right line with the right documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment