Thursday, February 21, 2013

Greta found a typo in one of my blog posts the other day, which was painful for me because I went to Catholic grade school, where written errors were kind of like venial sins -- the lesser, non-mortal sins that will not condemn you to hell (For a list of real venial sins, go to http://www.followthissite.com/list-of-sins.php
and scroll down past Mortal SinsThe Mitigating Circumstances concerning the Sin of Masturbation and The Seven Deadly Sins).

But back to the typo.  It so mortified me that I asked a friend of mine to proof my posts before I publish them.  I thought this was a great solution, as she's a brainy person who studies and writes about the rules of grammar.  However, we soon split over creative differences. 

So now I'm trying to proof my own writing, when everybody knows that it's easier to find problems with other people's stuff. This dynamic is exactly how the word "proof" first came into being, when one medieval monk said to another, "The corrections that I have made in blood red all over your script are PROOF that you are kind of a bad writer. Whatever you do, don't Xerox this."

Right there you can see that proofers have a history of being haughty. So think twice before you enter into a relationship with a proofer because odds are they are looking for you to screw up even when they are off duty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment