Saturday, February 23, 2013


Do you know that you may be older now than some of the television stars you thought were on their last legs when you were a kid?  This matter came up last night and thank god we were with my sister's partner Chris, because fancy computation was required.  Chris is a non-lazy math wiz who was willing to go online, look up and then subtract the year each star was born from the year his or her show originated.  From that formula, you can glean their ages during their hit shows.  I know.  Chris is amazing and frankly, I don't know who will provide services like this for me when they move all the way to California.

Okay, I'm 52 now and here's a quick list of characters whose portrayers were younger than me when they became famous TV characters:

Archie Bunker, 47
Fred Sanford, 50
Captain Binghamton (Old Leadbottom), 38
Maude, 50
Alice (Brady Bunch), 43
Thurston Howell III, 51

I was holding my breath when I asked Chrissy to calculate Robert Young's age at the time Marcus Welby was being filmed, and thankfully I'm still younger than he was during taping (59).  That also goes for Jed Clampett (56) and Granny (60).  



3 comments:

  1. Uh oh, I'm in deep poop; I'm older than damn granny. Thanks to the skill of my plastic surgeon, however, I no longer look it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I want to feel the depths of my underachievement, I remind myself that I am the same age as Kathleen Turner and the late Benazir Bhutto.

    What's this about Julie and Chris heading for the Left Coast?

    ReplyDelete