Tuesday, November 19, 2013

We now know that culinary foam is all the go at elite restaurants because it's modernist and healthier than sauces. Sauces already have an old-timey, vintage feel to them, so expect to see them again soon, because old-timey, vintage things are also all the go. Also expect to see sauces again soon because many people, not me, are unsatisfied with foam on or under their food, especially when they are paying for it.


It will anger the chef if you ask for your foam on the side. 
Just try to move through it.

Maybe today's leading chefs are foaming our dishes because they're bracing us for the day when commercial fishermen take the last fish out of the ocean in 2050*. And with no seafood left to serve, culinary artists will be forced to create the illusion of fish and shellfish on our plates by including items that I normally try to dodge at the beach, like sea foam, driftwood and potentially feathers**.

Tomorrow:  How to make culinary foam, if I can get a bead on it.




*This is what the U.N. is saying according to a website that I recently saw. I didn't recognize the organization that sponsored the site, but I know it's legit because there was an Anthropologie ad running down the right side of the page and I bought a sweater.


**Cooking with feathers is something I will not be able to handle, even though I usually gravitate toward things that are all the go. We can talk about it another time, but for now, just know that, at the beach, I would sooner pick up a used condom or a plastic tampon casing than an unattached feather.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Connie - I'm Sarah's friend Betsy Wild who writes the green living tips blog called "What's Green with Betsy?" - greenwithbetsy.com. I like your blog - it's clever. I'm curious however, what the foam consists of? I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet. Good luck with your blog - blogging is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Con, thanks for clearing up this whole culinary foam thing. We went out to eat the other night and I thought the chef had passed gas in my gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning on writing about how chefs make foam for their entrees in tomorrow's blog post. The problem is that I don't know how they do it. I guess I'll Google "Gourmet Food Foaming For Kids" and see what the cat drags in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they take empty Ready Whip containers and fill them with broth and water. Shake vigorously and Bob's your uncle, you got foam. Just not the kind you would take a shot directly to the mouth as you were putting the Ready Whip back in the fridge behind the door foam.
    Btw, what's with the blogger advertising on your blog? Is that legal?

    ReplyDelete