Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I've written about culinary foam for the past two days, and a few readers have asked me to do some research to find out how the foam is made. I did look into it, but remember, I'm not a food writer, and this blog is not about helping you to "learn." So I'll scratch the surface by telling you that it's super easy. Take the flavored liquid of your choice, for example a broth or puree, mix in a stabilizer, which keeps the air bubbles from popping (you can just pull some agar-agar, lecithin or xanthan gum from your spice cabinet) and then drive air into the mixture with mechanical force. 

I selected this photo to share with you today, because it's a good example of the profound visual impact that foamed food can have at a dinner party. For instance, I can imagine seeing this at a lavish outdoor soiree, and everyone stepping around it to get to the table.









2 comments:

  1. That is exactly how my lamb chops looked last week after our dog snagged three of them and then threw up. Her efforts were right next to photo essay from Bon Appetite. She looked pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, that is exactly what my first thought was...dog puke. It's got me gagging a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete