Friday, April 5, 2013

Though we're not famous comedians, my sister Julie and I have both made celebrities laugh. This is a very cool thing for us and we like to brag about it when we can work it into a conversation. 

Well, since you asked, one time, we were on Martha's Vineyard, in a little village called Menemsha. I was elected to go to Larsen's Fish Market to get some oysters. And though I thought twice about it, I decided to bring my cocktail along in a red plastic cup. When it was my turn in line, the guy who was doing the shucking said to me, "Hey, why did you write the word 'Amish' on your cup?" And I said, "Because I don't want people to know about all the alcohol in it."  The guy behind me laughed, and when I looked around, I saw Tony Shalhoub, the actor who played Monk, the obsessive/compulsive detective. I smiled at him, turned back around, set my drink on the counter and locked my arms together so no hugging would happen.

All right then, one other time, Julie, her partner Chrissy, and I were in Paris, walking down a dark street, late at night. Two women approached us from the other direction and it became apparent that it was Lily Tomlin and her partner, Jane Wagner. If you are too young to know how cool this is -- imagine coming face to face with Ellen DeGeneres and her wife, Portia De Rossi. Julie, who is always adorable, literally froze in her tracks, put her hands up to mouth and said, "Oh, oh, oh." Lily smiled at her and asked us what we were doing out so late.  I snapped the photo below. As you can see, Julie somehow found her way into Lily Tomlin's coat, where some hugging may have happened.


Chris, Jane, Lily and Julie

We said goodbye, figuring that was going to be the best part of our trip.  Well, guess what? It wasn't, because the next night, in a restaurant on the other side of the city, those two ladies came in right behind us. Lily Tomlin said, "Hey, aren't you the girls we saw on the street last night?"  And I said, "Yes we are. And we've heard about you celebrity stalkers." She laughed, and we talked for a bit. As they walked away to their table, Julie said, "We'll see you girls tomorrow!" Another laugh.     










2 comments:

  1. I have always loved that picture and the story that goes along with it. And now I love your Amish story, too. I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice how you usurped Julie's half of the story by telling us you made Lili laugh first. I guess if she has an issue with it, she can just get her own damn blog!

    ReplyDelete