Tuesday, April 2, 2013

It's great for me to have my younger sister Julie close by, because she likes to tell people mortifying stories about me from the good old days. And apparently, when I was little, out of the five of us kids, I was the know it all. She was willing to learn things from me though, because she was three years younger and she looked up to me. Only too bad for her because I never knew what I was talking about.

So, whenever we are out with friends and Julie starts a sentence with the words, "One time," I get really nervous. Like yesterday, she was very happy to share that, one time, when she was seven and I was 10, she walked out of her room and saw me with my ear to the closed door of the room I shared with our older sister Barb. Our mom and Barb were in there talking really seriously, and Barb seemed super upset. I was having trouble hearing, and though I picked up on some key words, I had to leave a lot to speculation. 


Right then, Julie came down the hall. I put my finger to my lips so she'd stay quiet.  But she kept tugging on my shirt because she wanted to know what was going on in there. So I took her by the arm and we went downstairs and around the corner. It was then that I leaned down and said, "Listen kiddo, Barb just got her period, and now we're all in trouble." 

No comments:

Post a Comment