Friday, May 3, 2013

Why is it still politically correct to bash red-haired humans? I'm the mother of someone named Greta who has red hair and though outwardly she lets the denigration roll off her back, she may be experiencing some kind of drain on her soul, and that is not cool. So here's what's going to happen. I'm writing a Public Service Announcement (PSA), with the goal of ending mean talk and discrimination toward red-haired people (notice I'm not saying "red heads" because I've just decided to be appalled by that term. No one would call an American Indian a "red head," right? Or someone with rosacea?).

After looking at several sources, I've learned that successful PSAs utilize key elements that I will be sure to include: 

Capture attention by making the ad relevant to your audience from the very beginning

Are you one of the asswipés who thinks it's okay to bash red-haired Americans? 

Make the reason for your PSA clear and include key information

If so, I'm begging you to nip it! You may be hurting my daughter's feelings, as well as those of my cousins on one side, and also other people who have red hair.  

Use emotional words to encourage the audience to get involved. 

  • Your decision to cease your mean-spirited actions will leave you feeling serenity, joy, confidence, and liberation. Whereas before, I hope you were feeling this list of emotions: cowardice, alienation, anguish, woe, emptiness, and also, in a stew.
    Make it clear what you expect the audience to do after listening to your message.
  • So I'm expecting you to listen to my message and be kind to people of hair color.
  • Include contact information, such as a website address where people can get more information.
  • For more information, contact International Red-haired Individuals Shunned Heartlessly Systematically Endlessly Thoughtlessly Today Everyday Really Stop (irishsetters.com)





  • 2 comments:

    1. Hey I have a red haired daughter too and she is not a soulless ginger! Stop it! When she was young she wanted to dye her hair black but now embraces her red hair, even calling herself a crazy ginger.
      The only upside: when she went to Harry Potter land (or whatever Disney calls it), the train conductor asked if she was a Weasley. That was cool.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Standing and clapping. Fortunately most of us had some shade of red hair so we were able to band together against the oppressors, but honestly, folks who make fun of red hair, what is WITH you people?

      These days I go around quoting the studies that show how much more anesthesia PWRH (people with red hair) need than non-PWRHs (yes, a couple of reliable studies have been done on this, go check the NIH web site). We are not bad-tempered, it's that people are always hurting us!

      I hope Greta remembers how proud her Great-Uncle Bill was of her magnificent hair.

      ReplyDelete