Saturday, April 19, 2014

Yesterday, an acquaintance came up behind me, tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Hey, why don't you stop writing about jars?" And I said something to him that he'll never forget. I spun right around and said, "I don't know. Why don't you stop writing about jars?"

Well I am going to stop writing about jars, because there isn't one that comes close to equaling the mason jar's charming allure as a drinking vessel. I'm probably just hours away from identifying for you what the newest thing in drinkwear will be. In the meantime, since we're all still in bed with mason jars, I will tell you that, at a party the other night, my friend Lisa Taylor showed me that it's possible to drink from one while at the same time experiencing a sense of well-being. Every time you take a sip, hunt down the area just before the threading begins. Put your lower lip there and tip the jar's opening toward your mouth. Then, if you close your eyes, you will get a load of what it was like to drink from a glass.


Photo by Con





1 comment:

  1. I am also happy to hear that you'll be moving on from this topic. It was only a matter of time before you discovered that Mason jars were the drinking container of choice at Po' Folks ("We po, but we proud") restaurants. If that had happened your cred as a design avatar would have been forever destroyed. Your daughters would have had to move to different schools. They'd never find loving mates, and while you'd find the idea of them living with you initially charming in that Willy Wonka/Grey Gardens kind of way, you'd soon discover that they'd been mixing your drinks with the cheap booze and keeping the good stuff for themselves.

    ReplyDelete