Monday, April 14, 2014

We've all seen this kind of jar before, but we never cared enough to ask what it's called. I'm sorry, but this does not bode well for the French Kilner as it tries to replace the mason jar as the next it-glass at parties.

 The French Kilner Jar 


The French Kilner, or bail closure jar, was originally used for canning until it gave everybody botulism during the Great Depression. People generally now use French Kilner jars for storage and decoration. Kilners get high marks for looks -- who among us can resist those industrial design features? But can we be expected to use this jar to hold our beverages? Sure, we've grown accustomed to drinking around and over the screw threads of the mason jar, but we have our limits. I mean can you imagine having this thing come at you, like a million times, when you're trying to have fun at a party?  



So, no way. The French Kilner is off the table. Oh my god, here's a Kilner tripling as a cookie jar and a fat joke. If you own one of these, please get rid of it. You're making us all feel bad about ourselves. 


Buzz Kilner

Next time: Apothecary Jars as drinking glasses. Too creepy? 

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid the French Kilner is out of the question. That's where we keep all the eye wash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be off topic but the chemistry beaker makes a dandy drink pitcher--so I have heard. I do not drink out of jars but do have a few jars of homemade gingko vodka my herbalist friend gave me for medicinal purpose. Maybe I will use a syringe to avoid drinking out of a jar. Wait! Everyone is addicted to opiates--it is huge. Should we be drinking through a syringe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great input. The beaker holds great promise.

    ReplyDelete