Friday, January 24, 2014

For Greta's 18th birthday, we got tickets to see the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. While we were in New York, Bo, Margot, Greta and I went to the American Museum of Natural History (Thanks Sutter!), which has truly amazing collections and exhibitions, even if you have it in your mind that science is a bit off-putting. 

At the top of our list of things to see was Whales: Giants of the Deep. This is because, as a family, we've always dreamed of being transported to the vibrant underwater world of the mightiest animals on earth. Actually that was Margot's dream, but we all went along with it. But it turned out just great because Stephen Colbert and his family were ahead of us in line to get into Whales: Giants of the Deep. And though I'd never approach a celebrity to speak with him directly, I did attempt to communicate my undying love to Stephen through echolocation. 

Once we plunged into Whales: Giants of the Deep, I tried to act busy. And luckily for me, the first part of the exhibit was about how whales have changed over time. I like a good evolution story as much as the next guy, and whales do not disappoint. Just look at this pre-whale, who lived 50 million years ago:


Pakicetus Attocki, which loosely means,
Guy Whose Nostrils Will Someday be Blowholes

After I learned about whale evolution, I pretended to enjoy a blur of skeletons, skulls, skulls, slides, scale models, skulls, skeletons, specimens, objects, and artifacts, until I found the Mating and Reproduction area, where I stayed put for a good while. Then, skeletons, skulls, skulls, until wait, what? Jewelry Made Out of Whales? -- linger, linger, where is my family?, feign like I'm reading stuff, there they are, hi!, yes I think I'm almost ready to leave, yes, it was amazing, shall we exit through the gift shop?

As we waited in line for our next exhibit, The Power of Poison, I struck up a conversation about Whales: Giants of the Deep -- "Guys, I'm still of a mind that whales are fish, not mammals. Any questions, comments, concerns?"

Next: Darting into the Power of Poison Exhibit!

2 comments:

  1. Love the questions, comments, concerns reference! I was worried you would wait until 2015 to start your blog Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized that all my comments to your blow have probably been lost in the ether for lack of my ability to read jumbled letters and numbers.

    That said, I once met Ally McGraw in the lobby of the old Wyndham Hotel in New York. I would have been tongue tied except that she had two Scotties with her. I was on the floor playing with them before I even realized whose they were. Do you think she still considers me her BFF?

    The funny thing that I had to go upstairs afterwards to have a conference call with a client who's a very formal guy. He'd been president of John Hopkins University and was at the time of this call president of a giant foundation. I thought it might be frivolous to explain my momentary distraction from having met Ally (BFFs can use first names, you know) to Bil. But it turns out he'd met her and been reduced to verbal mush the previous spring when they'd been, respectively, "best boy" and "best girl" and rode together in the back of a convertible at the in the Choate/Rosemary Hall alumni reunion parade.

    Just goes to show you what knowing a Scottie or two will do for you.

    ReplyDelete