Monday, September 29, 2014

At the Dentist (continued from last time):

"Wait though!" said Keratin. "Before I start to clean your teeth, let's get that heavy old x-ray apron off of you. I forgot you were still draped with it. Why didn't you say something?"

"Because I like it," I said.

"Don't be silly," she said, and she stood up to remove it from my torso.

"Keratin," I said, with my right hand blocking her. "If no one else in this office needs the x-ray apron right now, I'd like to wear it, please, if it's all the same to you."

"But why?" she asked.

"Okay, you've made me extremely anxious with this maybe-cavity and the x-ray apron's heaviness is having a dramatically calming effect," I said. "It's the same thing with my sister's Wheaton Terrier, Harry Potter. He's very disturbed by severe weather. But when he wears his thundershirt, he's able to collect himself."

"His thundershirt?" she asked. "Did your sister make that for the dog?" 

"Well, Keratin, you really can't make a ThunderShirt™, because the hugging feature of the design is patented," I said. "Its constant but gentle pressure has a soothing effect on Harry Potter's nervous system. Experts think that endorphins may be at work here. Keratin, you're a health care professional. Are you following me?"

"Yes."

"Can I wear the x-ray apron?"

"Yes. But only if my colleague, Cuspid (not her real name) doesn't need to take x-rays while you're here. Now can we get on with the cleaning?"

I closed my eyes, did a snuggle-in movement with my shoulders, and opened my mouth.









No comments:

Post a Comment